The Peter Baskett Bursary for ERC instructors
The Peter Baskett Bursary was established as a mark of honour to the late Peter Baskett. Peter was a Founding Member and a Chairman of the ERC. He introduced ERC courses and education in many countries in Europe and considered the education of ERC instructors of paramount importance. Peter’s vision was to develop the talents, particularly of younger potential instructors, thereby improving resuscitation across Europe and in the rest of the world.
Purpose of the bursary
The ERC, together with the Laerdal Foundation, established a bursary in order to make it possible for ERC instructors from countries with a lower Gross National Income or those not being able financially to participate in ERC congresses.
The Peter Baskett Bursary is available for all ERC congresses, as long as funds are available.
The Bursary includes the following costs:
- A free registration for the ERC congress.
- The reimbursement of travel costs and accommodation, in line with the ERC travel policy, up to a maximum of € 1500.
Who can apply?
The Peter Baskett Bursary is open to all active ERC instructors, residing or working in a country which has an Agreement or Memorandum of Understanding with the European Resuscitation Council. Applications from countries with a low Gross National Income per capita have a high priority.
Applications must be submitted in writing (English) to the ERC Office by e-mail ([email protected]) and should contain:
- The applicant’s short Curriculum Vitae including information about current employment.
- Proof of residency (a copy of a passport page with the photo).
- A statement (max. 200 words) by the applicant, in support of the application.
- A reference from an ERC course director, National Resuscitation Council or fellow ERC instructor.
Applications that meet the criteria:
- The Applicant is an active ERC instructor.
- The application is submitted before the deadline.
- The application includes a short curriculum, proof of residency, 200 words statement and reference.
Will be considered by the Bursary Committee, based on the following arguments:
- Activities to add value to the ERC courses in his/her country or region or in other countries.
- Financial limitations for this instructor to attend the congress with other sources of financial support.
- Priority for instructors residing or working in one of the prioritized countries.
- Only one instructor from each type of ERC course should be nominated per year.
The Bursary Committee will make a recommendation of maximum 3 persons to the ERC Board. The ERC Board will take a final decision and grant up to three instructors with a bursary.
All applicants will be informed if their application was admissible and whether it was granted. The discussions of the Bursary Committee and the ERC Board are considered confidential. No appeal is possible to the Board’s decision.
To be reimbursed for the travel costs, the beneficiary effectively has to have attended the congress and has to send the original cost receipts to the ERC Office. If unable to attend, the ERC Board has the power to grant exception.
Deadline for Resuscitation 2023 application
The deadline for submitting applications for the Barcelona 2023 ERC Congress is June 1, 2023 (23:59 CET)